Be Sweet to Your Sweet Tooth | Happy Halloween from Lake Cities Dental
Be Sweet to Your Sweet Tooth | Fall Is In the Air
As the weather gets cooler and leaves begin to change, many of us find ourselves reveling in the romance, nostalgia and joy that fall brings. Sweaters and scarves grace department store racks, office parties are planned, Friday night football is in full swing and pumpkins line highways and flavor coffee. Halloween is next Saturday, which means that many of us will be stocking up on candy to give to every Elsa, Anna or minion who rings our bell. Others may simply indulge in their favorite sweet treat and reminisce about homemade costumes, brisk evening walks and homecoming dances.
Be Sweet to Your Sweet Tooth | Tricks of the Trade
These Basic Tips may save your gums and teeth this holiday season.
Whether you have children or are just a child at heart, we encourage you to avoid tricks when it comes to the health of your teeth by following mouthhealthy.org’s “10 Tips for a Healthy Halloween”. Some of these include:
- Floss daily to remove plaque and food particles from between teeth and in the gum line.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day using a toothpaste containing Fluoride.
- Try to avoid sticky candy. These can cling to your teeth and usually take longer to break down which increases the risk of tooth decay.
- Eating candy and other sweets during or close to mealtimes can help to decrease damage-causing acids within your mouth as saliva is increased when you eat.
- Drink more water—particularly water that contains fluoride which can help to prevent decay
It's always best to check with your dentist about the best oral hygiene practices. However, these guidelines though basic may just save your gums and teeth this holiday season. To read more about the benefits of good oral hygiene, take a look at our previous post, "How Oral Hygiene Can Prevent Heart Disease".
Be Sweet to your Sweet Tooth | Happy Halloween
Next week when you are browsing the sweets aisle at the store, eyeing the candy bowl at work or feeling too tired to floss your teeth, we hope you will remember to treat your teeth not trick them. You’ll be glad you did! We at Lake Cities Dental wish you a very safe and Happy Halloween and look forward to seeing your smile at your next appointment.
Contact Lake Cities Dental for more information about Family Dentistry and Orthodontics in the Southlake, TX area. (817) 410-7373. Also, check us out on Facebook and Google+.